The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Policy Officer (Monitoring) – NOA
Ref ID: 106905
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Contract type: Full Time
Position grade: NOA
Contract duration: 12 months
- Under the direct supervision of the sub-office head of programme and the technical guidance of the head of monitoring and evaluation in the country office, the incumbent will oversee the day-to-day management of the sub-office monitoring team.
- As such, through collaboration with the relevant internal and external counterparts, the incumbent will perform the below activities.
- To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Oversee the regular performance monitoring of WFP activities at the area office level, including the coordination of monthly process monitoring and biannual outcome monitoring in order to provide the most relevant and strategic information toward achieving expected results (as set out in the Country Strategic Plan (CSP) and other global and regional plans), while being compliant with WFP monitoring requirements.
- Budget for M&E costs and advocate for appropriate financial and human resourcing.
- Contribute and support evidence-based decision-making on programme design and implementation, notably through making monitoring findings accessible, developing innovative, user-friendly and informative products.
- Support WFP management in addressing recommendations from monitoring to ensure follow-up actions are taken as required.
- Build M&E capacity of WFP staff and partners through delivery of training and information sharing. Manage junior staff members and guide as required to enable high performance.
- Take responsibility for integrating protection, accountability to affected populations, gender, and diversity perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men, boys and girls, and people living extreme vulnerabilities or disabilities.
- Ensure that CO monitoring systems and tools are in place and compliant with corporate standards, including the minimum monitoring requirements (MMR), standard operational procedures (SOP) and establishment of baselines and targets in alignment with the corporate results framework (CRF).
- Produce regular infographic and narrative monitoring reports, including running data analysis, with status of results and implementation progress.
- Facilitate/contribute to mid-term and thematic reviews, and coordinate sub-office aspects of evaluations and decentralized evaluations.
- Other duties as required.
4ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Capability Name-Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level:
Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance:
- Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher):
- Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.) :
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government:
- Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Experience: Minimum of one year of relevant professional work experience including in international development or humanitarian work and strong experience developing and using a variety of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools and methods.
- Education: Advanced university degree in one of the following fields: Social Sciences, Statistics, Development Economics, Performance Management, Monitoring And Evaluation or other related fields, or first university degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency in a local language (preferred Hausa, Kanuri, Shuwa Arabic).
- Skills: Strong data analysis and infographics (e.g., SPSS, STATA, Tableau, Excel); questionnaire programming (xls); report writing and dashboard creation.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
- Desired experiences for entry into the role
- Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
Application Closing Date
5th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Additional Information
- WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills. Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview.